Pages

Friday, March 11, 2011

Taking Stock: Give Me Some Sugar Baby!!!!!

This is the next installment of the “Taking Stock” series, and while I am still trying to figure out exactly how I am going to replace granulated sugar in my pantry I have at least reconciled the fact that it plays a major role in my life as a baker and confectionery artist. It is hard to get away from using sugar because for many things it provides bulk and tenderness to baked goods. I use it for making my homemade syrups and liqueurs, for making pretty pressed sugar decorations for cupcakes and tea, for canning jams and jellies, and for making a sugar body scrub for my bath time. True, I can use honey to sweeten tea or to pour over pancakes, but I feel that sugar is one of those things that I will just have to buy rather than produce. There is however a happy medium. I do use granulated sugar to create a few of my other baking supplies. Most people do not know that granulated sugar is the base for both brown sugar and confectioners' or powdered sugar. Its also used for making those beautifully colored sugar sprinkles that look so good on cakes and cookies. Yup! Sugar has versatility.
I actually found out about the brown sugar when I ran out while making cookies one day. I remembered reading about ingredient substitutions in a baking magazine once, so I searched and found the recipe. It was too easy! Since then I kept a zippy bag full in my pantry. That lead me to research other sugar-based goodies, thus the colored sugars and pressed sugar pieces. Later, when Cake decorating took over my life, I discovered a recipe for confectioner's sugar. These recipes are all so easy to make at home, I wonder how we as a culture ever began buying them exclusively in the grocery shops. I hope to make you a convert! Here are my recipes. Hope you like them.

Brown Sugar
2 Tablespoons Molasses
1 Cup Granulated Sugar

Mix these two ingredients well and store them in an air tight container. I mix small quantities to avoid the possibility of the sugar hardening over time, but if you feel that you can use it up make as much as you want. Told ya this was easy!

Confectioners' Sugar
1 Cup Granulated Sugar
1 Tablespoon Corn Starch

In a blender, blend sugar for two minutes on highest speed. Add corn starch and continue blending until you reach the desired consistency. The cornstarch keeps the sugar from packing down. I use a lot of this, so I make quite a bit and store it in one of my old popcorn tins in the pantry.

Colored Sugar Sprinkles
1/3 Cup Granulated Sugar
Liquid Food Coloring (9 drops for soft colors; 18 drops for bold colors)

In a medium bowl, add sugar and liquid coloring and whisk together until all th color droplets are blended in. I use a generic food coloring from Walmart, the kind that comes in the little plastic dropper bottles. Add a few drops at a time and incorporate the color into the sugar. Stop when you get the color you are after. I store these colored sugars in small Mason jelly jars with the lid tightly on. Mixing colors works well as long as you slowly add the coloring and mix it well. Use the sugars for sprinkling cookies, cupcakes, cake designs, or pressed sugar pretties.




Gourmet Flavored Sugar
Great in coffee, tea, yogurt, pressed sugars, and sprinkles

1 Cup Granulated Sugar
1 Teaspoon Any Flavored Extract

In a medium bowl, whisk together the sugar and flavoring until thoroughly combined. Store in an air tight container.


Pressed Sugar Pretties
I use these when I have guest over. They make an ordinary cup of coffee of tea seem very special.
!/2 Cup of Granulated Sugar
1 Teaspoon Water and /or Extract or Liquid Flavoring, or a mixture of these

Whisk together the sugar and the liquid; spoon mixture into a candy flower shaped or bonbon shaped mold; scrape off excess sugar (back into the bowl) and press sugar down gently to pack into the mold. Turn pressed sugar out onto waxed paper to dry. If sugar is stuck in mold, gently tap until it releases. Truly, you will have some destroyed in the process, but you can always add the sugar back to the bowl and try again. These should dry at least for a half an hour before handling. Store them wrapped in tissue paper in a pretty tin or box.
For tea, try lemon, mint, and vanilla.
Coffee can have much bolder flavors like chocolate, rum, and spice.
Experiment and enjoy the Simple things in life!

No comments:

Post a Comment