Pages

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Taking Stock: Part 2-Recipes for Dry Staples



In my pantry you will find the popcorn tins of Christmas Past. I save them because they make excellent (and pretty) canisters for my flour, cornmeal, and dry ingredients. If you read Taking Stock Part 1: Pantry Basics, then you know that I make my own biscuit and baking mix, cake flour, and bread flour. Once made, these get stored in the large tins, as I do a good bit of baking. I thought that I would share with you some of the recipes that I have collected for staples in my pantry. Come back frequently, as I am always updating with new recipes that I find to further my own efforts in self reliance.

Biscuit and Baking Mix

17 ½ cups all purpose flour
2/3 cup baking powder
½ cup sugar
2 Tablespoons salt
4 cups shortening
Sift all the dry ingredients into a super-large bowl. Add one cup of shortening at a time, working it up with your fingers as you go, until it resembles coarse cornmeal. Store in a covered container. Use this recipe in the same way that you would use the commercially prepared mixes. I recommend that you get a Bisquick recipe book and keep it handy.

Cake Flour for the Baker

Begin with a 1 cup measuring cup; for every cup of cake flour that you wish to make, place 2 Tablespoons of cornstarch into the measuring cup, then fill the rest of the way with all purpose flour. This is equal to 1 cup of cake flour when you are done. Next, sift the flour mixture 3 times and store in an airtight container. I like to make this recipe in bulk because I bake and sell cakes as a side business, but you make as much as you need.
To make 4 cups at one time, use a 4 cup measure. Use ½ cup of cornstarch to 3 ½ cups all purpose flour; sift 4-5 times before storing.

Bread Flour
Easy recipe!

1 cup All Purpose Flour
1 Tablespoon Vital Wheat Gluten

I mix about six cups of this at once. I simply add the flour and gluten into my tin canister and whisk thoroughly. Use for any recipe calling for bread flour or for any time you make a loaf of white bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment